Hair transplant: an increasingly popular solution to hair loss
Hair transplant is one of the hair loss treatment methods that are available. It can be done to restore follicles that have been lost due to baldness or other causes or to improve the appearance of thinning follicles.
What is a hair transplant and how does it work?
Follicles implant surgery involves the transfer of follicles from a donor area to a balding or thinned area of the head.
This type of surgery is usually performed to treat baldness. In this procedure, a surgeon removes tiny patches of skin from the back or sides of the head and transplants them to the bald or thinning areas. This can provide a natural-looking and fill in other areas of the scalp.
11 benefits of hair transplantation
- It is a permanent solution to alopecia – The transplant can provide a permanent solution, once the follicles are transplanted, they will continue to grow for a lifetime.
- Boosts self-confidence – many people who have undergone transplants report feeling a boost in self-confidence. This is because they no longer have to worry about their depilated areas.
- Quick Recovery Time – Recovery time from the operation is typically short, with most patients able to return to work within a few days.
- It can increase follicles’ density – You can achieve fuller and thicker hair.
- Implants can restore follicles on the scalp – this includes areas of the scalp that have been affected by alopecia due to burns, scars, or other injuries.
- Natural-looking result – because follicles are transplanted from your own head, they will look and feel completely natural.
- It can help you regain your confidence – Losing your follicles can be really tough. It can make you feel bad about yourself and affect your mental health. A graft can help you feel better about yourself and boost your confidence.
- Safety and low risk of complications.
- Low maintenance – once the follicle has grown, it only needs to be trimmed like normal hair.
- Implants can be combined with other baldness treatments, such as PRP or medications.
- An operation is actually quite affordable and in many cases, it can even be covered by insurance. So if you’re thinking about getting an implant, don’t let the cost deter you.
Hair transplant methods
Hair loss is an unfortunate reality for many people. Fortunately, advances in medical technology have led to new options that allow you can get back some or all of your lost follicles through surgery and implants! The choice of which method to use depends on factors such as the existing hair density and the patient’s preferences. Surgery is still considered to be one of the most effective ways to combat alopecia and restore a natural look.
The follicular unit birth( FUE) system is a minimally invasive surgical system when individual follicular units are removed directly from the patron area without gashes and sutures. It involves harvesting donor follicles from the back of the head and transplanting it to the balding areas. It can be used to correct baldness caused by various factors, including genetic balding, chemotherapy and burn injuries.
The main advantage of the aforementioned type of operation over other transplantation methods is that it is minimally visible scarring.
When choosing a transplantation method, it is important to consider the type of procedure that will best meet your needs. FUE is typically chosen by patients who want to achieve natural-looking results with minimal scarring. It’s also relatively simple and can be completed in one or two days. However, the FUE method is usually more expensive than other types of transplants due to the time and expertise required to perform the procedure.
Follicular unit transplantation (FUT) is a surgical technique that involves removing a strip of tissue from the donor site and dividing it into individual grafts.
FUT method is often considered the gold standard for surgery because it allows the surgeon to create natural-looking grafts with minimal scarring. It is an excellent option for patients who are looking for a long-term solution.
There are a few things to consider before choosing the FUT transplantation method. First, it’s important to consult with a trichologist to see if that method is the right procedure for you. Second, it’s essential to find a reputable clinic that offers transplantation services. And third, it’s important to remember that it is still a surgical procedure and there are some risks involved. These include bleeding, swelling, infection, and scarring. But when performed by a skilled surgeon at a reputable clinic, follicular unit transplantation can provide excellent results with minimal complications.
If you’re considering the aforementioned issues, be sure to consult with a trichologist.
DHI – Direct Hair Implantation method is a newer technique that involves extracting individual follicular units from the donor site and then transplanting them to the balding or thinning area of the head.
Its main advantage is that it allows for a quicker healing time and less scarring. This is because the transplanted follicles are inserted into microscopic holes that have been drilled into the recipient area.
In addition, DHI can be used to treat areas of the scalp that are difficult to reach with other methods.
People with alopecia are the best candidates for DHI implants because this condition, known as male or female pattern baldness is common in both men and women.
BHT or Body Hair Transplantation is a method of transplant that uses hairs from different parts of the body to create fuller, more natural results.
BHT method is an ideal solution for those who are experiencing baldness due to genetic reasons, as well as for people who have depilated head due to medical treatments such as chemotherapy.
There are many benefits to choosing BHT as an alopecia solution, including the fact that BHT transplants typically last longer than other types of transplants and they can provide a more natural-looking result. When considering BHT as an alopecia solution, it is important to consult with a professional who can assess your individual case and determine whether BHT is the right option for you.
Talizi’s team will be able to provide you with all of the information you need to make an informed decision about whether BHT is right for you.
Who is a good candidate for hair transplant surgery?
Hair implant surgery is not for everyone. The best candidates are those who:
-Are in good overall health
-Are not smokers
-Have pdepilated areas that is concentrated in specific areas
-Have enough follicles in the donor area to harvest for transplantation
-Are experiencing baldness due to genetic factors
-Are not experiencing baldness due to chemotherapy or other medical treatments
-Are not pregnant or breastfeeding
-Have male/female pattern baldness
What is the average recovery time after surgery?
Most patients return to work within a few days. More precisely, recovery time varies depending on the individual case. Hair transplant surgery recovery time can be anticipated to take around 1-2 weeks. During the recovery time, you should avoid strenuous exertion, sweating, raising your blood pressure, and using alcohol and tobacco.
What are the risks of hair transplant surgery?
The risks associated with the process are minimal when performed by a qualified surgeon. The most common complication is an infection, which can typically be treated with antibiotics. Other potential complications include:
· Bleeding – this can usually be controlled with a pressure
· Swelling – usually subsides within a week
· bruising – generally subsides within 2 weeks
· Itching – this can be treated with over-the-counter antihistamines
· Scarring surgery typically leaves a very small scar.
· Numbness – this is typically temporary and will resolve within a few months.
· baldness in the transplanted area – this is usually temporary and will grow back within a few months
Are there any non-surgical options for hair loss?
There are a number of non-surgical options. These include medications, lifestyle changes, and such treatments as topical minoxidil and low-level laser therapy. You should discuss these options with your doctor to see if any of them are right for you. These include:
- Minoxidil, more commonly known as Rogaine, is a medication that is applied topically to the scalp. The active ingredient in Rogaine is minoxidil, which is a vasodilator. This means that it widens blood vessels, which in turn improves blood circulation to the follicles.
- Finasteride, marketed under the brand name Propecia, is an oral medication that is FDA-approved for alopecia. Taken once a day, finasteride can decrease the amount of DHT in the scalp, which in turn can slow down or halt baldness.
- Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy is a non-surgical alopecia treatment. PRP therapy involves taking a sample of your blood and then spinning it in a centrifuge to separate the platelets from the red and white blood cells. The platelets are then injected into the scalp, releasing growth factors that promote follicle growth.
- Low-Level Laser Therapy – is a non-surgical treatment. During the treatment, low-level lasers are used to stimulate the cells in your scalp.
What is the best time for a hair transplant surgery?
The quick answer is that the best time for a transplantation is whenever you and your doctor decide is best for you. However, certain times of the year may be better than others, depending on your circumstances. Let’s take a closer look.
Consider Your Schedule
One of the first things to consider when deciding when to have surgery is your schedule. Taking time off during a slow period at work or during a light week at school might be a good time to schedule the procedure. This will give you some time to recover without having to worry about meeting deadlines or being out in public before you’re ready.
Think About The Weather
Another thing to keep in mind is the weather. If you live in an area with extreme temperatures, it may not be ideal to have an operation during the summer or winter months. The hot summer sun can damage newly transplanted follicles, while cold winter weather can make recovery more uncomfortable. instead, consider having the procedure done during the spring or fall, when the weather is more moderate.
Keep Your Holidays Free
You’ll also need to take some downtime for recovery afterward— typically around 7-10 days. This means that. It is recommended that you plan the procedure around any major holidays or trips you have scheduled. For instance, in case you’re taking a vacation in July, you might want to schedule for early June instead.
Actually, there’s no wrong time to have a hair transplant, but there are certain times of year that may be ideal depending on your circumstances. Keep your schedule and the weather in mind when deciding when to have the procedure done, and make sure to leave some extra time for recovery before any big trips or holidays.